Teen Life Counts (TLC) is a school-based suicide awareness and prevention program that was established in 1984. TLC uses professional staff and trained community volunteers to teach life-saving information to high school students and Gatekeepers in the community.
Following extensive training and observations, Volunteer TLC Educators facilitate the TLC curriculum over the course of three class periods (about 1 hour per day.) Students learn current information about suicide rates, how to identify warning signs, how to talk to a friend about whom they are concerned, and resources for getting help. TLC empowers students to be allies in teen suicide prevention.
Become a TLC Volunteer Educator!
TLC volunteers inform students of the facts about suicide, debunk myths, review warning signs of suicide, and provide students with techniques for getting help for oneself or for a friend when these warning signs are recognized.
• Complete TLC Training requirements:
Day 1: Learn lesson plan content and methods
Day 2: Practice teaching to a sample class
Day 3: Observe a master teacher
Day 4: Teach while observed by a master teacher
(Note: Days are not consecutive)
• Teach TLC program in at least two area high schools per semester
• Attend TLC Educator meetings/trainings (2 per year)
• Adhere to all agency policies and procedures
• Maintain confidentiality per HIPAA requirements where applicable
• 21 years of age or older
• Prior experience working with adolescents preferably as a teacher, counselor, or clinician
• Experience with multi-media (PowerPoint, LCD/laptop/SmartBoard)
• Internet access and an email account
• Availability on weekdays during school hours
• Reliable transportation
• Willingness to work with diverse populations
• Must pass a criminal background check
For more information or to inquire about upcoming training, please contact Tuyl Mogabgab, Teen Life Counts Coordinator, by phone at (504) 831-8475 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Jewish Family Service of Greater New Orleans is a social service agency dedicated to preserving, strengthening and enhancing the well-being and self-sufficiency of individuals and families at every stage of life.